Wednesday, April 3, 2013

March 30th, 2013

Saturday
Unit 3
Nurse: Stephanie/Nabil

Today was not a good day for anyone.  My strength was definitely tested today and I was glad Dad was there to help the nurses.

They had many procedures planned for you so they decided to give you Medazz, which helps calm kids down.  Well, this medicine apparently tastes awful and you needed to take it by mouth.  Your Dad told the nurses he is pretty good at getting medicine in you by mouth, so the nurses handed the syringe to your Dad and he put it down your throat.  Well, you spit some up and then come more of it came up.  We were not too sure if you got enough.  Five minutes later a different Kallum emerged!  You were interacting with the TV, you were talking to us (this is not normal), you smiled, sang your ABC's.  Your Dad and I were beaming and laughing with you.  It felt so good to see you happy, even if it was because of drugs!  The best part was when the Oncologist, Dr. Ali, came into the room to talk to us and you told him he was naked! Lol!

All laughing aside there was a reason for the Medazz.  You needed a new IV, so the Transport team was coming to do that.  The Transport team are experts in getting IV's in.  They needed to put in your NG (feeding tube) and also give a rectal exam.  Needless to say, you didn't like any one of these procedures but you are very calm and happy between them.  The Transport team was awesome and they were able to get the IV in right away.  You are not a fan of the NG so we need to watch you like a hawk, so you don't rip it out. 

You have started Katoralack today.  It is used to help your bone pain, hopefully.  You can have it every 4 hours. 

I am glad that we are here.  I am getting settled at the Ronald McDonald house.  I tried getting some groceries today at Safeway for Dad and I, but my back pain kicked in and I didn't quite get all that we needed.  I need to make sure I don't overdue it with my back so I can be healthy for you.

The picture is you sleeping peacefully in Unit 3.

Love you buddy,

Mom and Dad



No comments:

Post a Comment