Wednesday, April 3, 2013

April 1st, 2013

Monday
Unit 3/1
Weight: 13.5 kg
Nurse: Lisa/Tamerra

Confirmation Day :(

You have been fasting so that you will be ready for the bone biopsy, which you will have this morning. A nurse has been in to put cooling cream on your hip bones to prepare for the procedure. Of course you are not too happy about this and your Dad needs to help "pin" you to the bed. Dad and I do not know what to expect and we are very nervous about what could be happening. We know that we will finally get our questions answered by this bone marrow aspiration, but we know it won't be easy on you.

They come and get you by 11 am. A porter, Dad and I push your bed down to Unit 1, to a procedure room. You protest with all your might but actually quiet down once we get "rolling." Dad and I are in the tiny room as more and more people try to fill it. Dr. Peter explains the meds you will receive to help sedate you. An Oncologist is there to go over the procedure. A Pathologist is there to take the samples. There are 2 nurses as well as a Resident. We are asked to leave after you are asleep and both of us give you a kiss, which you do not protest because you are sound asleep ;)

Waiting is something I am getting better with. Your Dad and I wait 30 minutes and they roll you out to a recovery area. I am pleasantly surprised when you wake up because you are happy and you try to tell us things, but we are unable to understand. After vitals are done and you are fully awake we go back to Unit 3 to wait for results.

When we return to your room on Unit 3, we see a cute white bear with a balloon saying "Get Well Soon."  It is from Miss Cook, Miss O and the toddler classroom at Montessori. We put it where you can see it as you don't really want to touch it.

Again waiting. Waiting so long it hurts. We suspect what the diagnosis is going to be, but still there is hope. We pass the time by trying to get you to eat and playing on our tablets. You are sleeping a lot after the procedure, which is nice.

Dr. Anderson comes in to the room and I don't know what to feel. Dad and I hold hands trying to support each other to hear news we already know. Dr. Anderson has confirmed all the suspicions and our sweet boy has Leukemia. I try to hold it together, but again I am upset and scared all at the same time.  Thank God I have your Dad with me. Dr. Anderson informs us that we need to wait for further testing to come back to confirm what type of Leukemia we are dealing with, which will then determine the path of treatment. 

You are moving to Unit 1, which is the Oncology ward.  We quickly pack up your room and your new teddy bears.  A porter comes for us and we take you downstairs.  There is a great nurse on Unit 1, Tammera, and she helps you get settled in your new room.  We have a view to the parking lot and the mountains, which is nice. The only problem with your new room is that the room temperature is 27 C.  They are hoping it cools down or they will have maintenance come in.  Your Dad isn't too happy to sleep in the heat!

I return back to the Ronald McDonald house and read all the support and prayers from everyone. I know that we have an army behind us, Kallum, I know you are going to fight and be strong enough to beat this awful cancer!

I can't say much more than your Mom did above, like her I was just waiting to hear what I thought I already knew.  I had grieved this result days ago after hearing the first suggestion, I had gone to the internet for hours that first night and found just too many things that matched.  Today just allows us to say yes he has Leukemia and that is why he is so sick and is not getting better.  Today we have a name, today we have an answer and today is the starting point of making our tough little man better.

Love you buddy,

Mom and Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment