Wednesday, April 3, 2013

March 29th, 2013

Friday
Peds Floor/Unit 3
Nurse: Kristy and Sammy

Up, Up and Away!

Today you start your day restful.  As Dad leaves to get showered and have a break at home, Morgan comes to help me and visit you.  You are not happy to see Morgan and you turn away.  This has been a normal reaction to everyone, including me.  I don't blame you for being mad and angry. 

Morgan has brought you balloons and a bucket of goodies.  You again turn away and don't want anything with the gift.  It is okay.  I am glad to have Morgan come and visit so I can share with her what is going.  She is another shoulder to lean on.

After Morgan leaves, Daddy comes back.  Uncle Dusty and Auntie Tannis come to visit.  We all are able to visit, you are angry and crusty to them too but I catch you listening to our conversation.  They bring magazines and goodies for Dad and I and a black and white spotted dog for you.

During this time the Pediatrician, Dr. Burgess, has been evaluating your vitals and test results. He comes in and tells Dad and I that he thinks you need to go to Calgary today.  He feels like there is nothing else Medicine Hat Peds can do and you need to go to Calgary ASAP.  This means you need to fly to Calgary and I am going with you!

Uncle and Auntie take me home to pack.  I am a mad woman trying to pack for you, Dad and I but also your sisters.  Auntie Tannis is a huge help and we pack fast.  Poppa comes to get the truck ready for Dad to drive.  Daddy calls and says I have 20 minutes before they are coming for you.  We race back to the hospital.

Daddy leaves the hospital as he is driving and meeting us in Calgary.  You are peaceful because the morphine has really kicked in.  You do occasionally complain of pain, but won't say where.  The paramedics come with a stretcher to take you to the ambulance.  You again are telling us "No" but we head to the ambulance.  They ask you if you want to see the lights, but you don't.

We arrive at the airplane and we all squeeze in.  The flight is quick and smooth (thank goodness).  You rest throughout the flight and it doesn't seem to bother you.  I didn't want your first plane ride to be in an air ambulance :(  After the plane ride, we take another ambulance to Alberta's Children's Hospital, in Calgary. 

You are admitted to Unit 3.  Sammy, your new nurse tries to make you comfortable.  You are not happy to be here.  They soon realize that the IV you have has come out and won't be able to be used.  I am devastated because I know how hard it was to get the IV in the first place.  They take you off the morphine because they think this is why you have problems with voiding. 

I leave at 8:30 pm so I can be booked into the Ronald McDonald House.  The RMH is only one long block away from the hospital.  It is like a hotel and Dad and I have a room with a double bed, arm chair, desk and a sofa bed.  We have our own bathroom too.  There are communal areas such as a kitchen, TV area and sitting area. I am glad we have this great resource so close to the hospital.  It is a long walk for me, but manageable, with my back recovery. 

I am going to try to get sleep tonight as best as I can.  I anticipate what we will hear from the doctors here.  I hate that your Dad has to be the one to stay with you every night as I recover from my back operation.  He must be exhausted but I know he wouldn't have it any other way.

Love you so much buddy,

Mom

 

No comments:

Post a Comment