Wednesday, April 3, 2013

March 28th, 2013

Thursday
Peds Rm. 020
Nurses:Wendy

Test Day!

This morning the lab showed up at 8 am for blood work, which you are not a fan of.  We were then quickly notified that x-ray was waiting for us as well.  I carried you down to Diagnostic Imaging and explained to you that they were going to take you picture.  You were still not convinced that it wasn't going to hurt.  

We were called into the x-ray room where you were not very cooperative.  Finally you settled and they were able to take x-rays of both legs.  They offer you a sticker and you say "no."  I decide to just take it with me but you make me throw it in the garbage on the way out.

Mom met up with us after your x-ray, back in your room.  We are now getting ready for an ultrasound.  The ultrasound is going to look at your kidneys, liver, and many other internal organs.  The procedure takes at least 30 minutes.  You started out calm but soon grew restless as the procedure continued.  We did look at your bladder which was extremely full, to the extent of over 500 ml.  

When we returned to your room they informed us that you were now going to have a bone scan.  They explain that the bone scan will be in two parts.  The first part is injecting dye, through an IV, which you don't have currently, and taking a quick scan as the dye first enters your body.  Then, we come back 2 hours later to scan your body again, once the dye has had a chance to spread out.  After explaining this to us, they tell us we need to get an IV in.  

Mom luckily went down to get us some food when they decided to do your IV.  I took you to the room that do IVs in.  I laid you down on the bed.  They tried to initially start the IV in your left hand.  After preparing the site, myself and another nurse held you down to the bed while another nurse attempted the IV.  She blew through the left vein so she moved to the right hand.  This vein was a success but they forgot to lock the IV and blood started to come out of the IV.  Quick hands prevailed as they finally got it closed.  This is where you Mom walked and in and was visibly upset and she saw you crying and blood on the bed and nurses.  

I carried you back down to Diagnostic Imaging to where they do the bone scans.  The room is large with a big machine and a small stretcher to lye in.  We tell you again that we will be taking more pictures of your body but by this point you are not too happy about pictures anymore.  They lye you on the bed and the nurse injects the dye into your IV.  They apply a "seat belt" on you to help stabilize your body on the stretcher and I also hold you down.  The scan takes about 5 min and we are done.  No stickers or teddy bears because you will not take anything!

We rest in the room for 2 hours before we have to return for the second bone scan.  You finally go to the bathroom and we are quite relived.  We take time to update everyone of what you are going through as they are very worried.  The day is hard on us, making you do things you don't want to do.

The second bone scan is done.  It is a bit longer but you do well.  You are finished your tests for the day.  We decide to take you for a walk, down to the cafeteria   Here is where you pick out an ice cream sandwich.  We are happy that you actually want to eat something as this is a growing concern.  We return to our room where you surprisingly eat the whole thing.  

The test results come back and the doctors are concerned.  They see a shadow on your right femur bone.  You also have some wonky blood tests.  The only thing that is good is that your white blood count seems to be good.  They throw words around that I don't understand but they do say that Leukemia could be a possibility.  We are devastated and not too sure how to handle the news.  Dr. Foulston said she will be in contact with the Oncologists in Calgary to share results and that would be going to Calgary Monday or Tuesday.  The news is hard and your Mom is very upset, I am too.  I am optimistic that it is not cancer and can be just an infection.   

What a day!  It was so painful to watch you endure so many tests.  I would have done all the tests for you if I could.  What is more painful is the news of your possibly diagnosis. I feel like I am going to get sick.  I cry on your Dad and then away from the doctors.  I don't know if I can pull myself together.  I go to Grandma and Grandpa's and let them know.  This is not easy. I also have to tell you sisters.  I explain that you are sick and in the hospital.  The girls are okay with this and Abbi asks to pray for you. It is the girls' idea to collect Easter things for your room as they have informed us that you won't be home this weekend.  I will bring the Easter things tomorrow to decorate your room and I hope the girls can come visit you too.  I have a feeling you won't want Easter brought to you but I think it will make all of us feel better.

Love you more than you know,

Mom and Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment