Sunday, May 26, 2013

May 26, 2013

Saturday
97 Scott Cres. SE
Weight 12.6 kg
Nurses: Mom, Abbi and Gracie

I am going back to Thursday and you are off all IV meds and we can walk the halls of Unit 1 free and clear.  We get out and you meet Malcom, little over 1 year old, whose parents I have been talking to from day 1 and and a new to us guy Kiya, who is also 2.5 a. old, just like you.  You seem to glow again with the the hope and ignorance of a child.  You even show Kiya, Chem Elmo, and love walking with your Mom and me more in one night that you have in the last month.

However, with every up comes a down. Walking all afternoon around the unit tires you out and you crash into bed at 8, just 15 minutes after starting a movie.  You wake up at about 10 o'clock though and start asking for the strangest thing, you want someone to poke a needle in your arm.  Its funny but at the same time you wont let go of the idea and I cant talk you out of it, even after calling your mom she cant talk you out of it.  Finally, you settle after I brush your teeth and do your vitals for you.  Tomorrow the nurses are going to get a kick out of this story, what kind a kid suddenly wants needle pokes.

So it has been a long time dream from me, mom and countless others to get a chance to come home to Medicine Hat.  On Friday morning, the day came when your ANC flew to 500 units.  I got the news from Christina while still in bed beside you (a few story's of this night to follow) I was too scared to ask but think she was to excited to keep it in Ha-Ha.  I try to play games with Mom when I text her the numbers but she can sense my excitement.  The only way I can express the way I feel is what I think others must feel getting out of jail, but it's funny as my next thought is at this rate is when do we come back.

I go clean the room at RMH to return it to them while your Mom makes final preparations with your nurse. I promptly return with the van and we are gone, there is no holding us back this time.  You stay awake for the whole drive home as we talk about cows and stuff we see as well as try to figure out how life on the outside is going to work.  Getting home around supper time mom picks up Gracie and Pappa drops off Abbi, after a long wait we are all together at home even just for a short time.

The house is strange for me though, it takes more than one try to find a cup; I have even forgotten that we had granite counter tops.  I feel like a guest in my own house, its strange how all feels and sounds.  Taking a shower has a different sound, walking around the house seems all new again and I'm finding it strange to not to hear the alarms on IV pumps or other patients.  The only way to describe it is how it must feel to get out of jail and be shocked by your new surroundings and freedom but its only been 2 months.  For now though, its just so warming to be at home as a family, nothing is more important than that to me.

You have courage but for the next few days you can just relax.

Love Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment