Thursday, May 2, 2013

May 1st and 2nd, 2013

Wednesday/Thursday
Unit 1/Holtz House
Weight: 13.1 kg
Nurse: Justine/Charmaine/Mom/Dad

And we are free!!!

Today we were able to leave the hospital!  It has been exactly one month from your diagnosis (32 days in the hospital) and you are able to feel the sun on your face.

I left early this morning from Medicine Hat knowing that you and dad were on your way out.  I also knew that needed more rubbermaids to clear out your hospital room.  When I got to your room this Wednesday, you had a smirk on your face and you looked so happy.  You showed me that you had no more tubes hooked up to you.  You show me your dinosaur (your gift from your new friend Ebin) and tell me that he is coming with us.  I explain to you that EVERYTHING has to go and I am not sure how you accumulated so much stuff in just one month.  Your dad and I pack up the rest of the room, the nurse goes over special instructions, the doc takes one more look at you and we are given the okay to go.  Your dad insists that we only need one trip to take everything to the van so he stacks the wheelchair to the top.  We will post pictures so you can see how ridiculous he looked pushing it.  I tried to get a picture of you too, but the minute I told you I was taking your picture, you would not smile.



I have to tell you, and you are probably sick of it already, but it felt pretty good pushing you out of the hospital.  I know it is only for a few days, but right now it is pretty amazing.

We arrive at Uncle Brandon and Auntie Charndra's house and it doesn't take you long to head up to the toy room with Carter.  One thing is pretty apparent, you do not have the strength that you remember.  You have a hard time standing for a long time and you are pretty shaky.  Dad or I have to be with you as you walk as you lose your balance often.  You are smiling and showing me all the toys.  You do tire quickly and need an afternoon nap.  The rest of the night you don't do much walking.  It is hard to see you like this, knowing that you use to be running circles around us.  I know that your movements today are an improvement from yesterday and you will get stronger everyday that you are out of the hospital bed.

It was a good night overall.  I was just happy to have you close to me.  You wake up a little quiet and are almost cautious for most of the day.  Again, we are finding it difficult to get you to eat and drink.  We try to get you whatever you are "craving" but you just don't have an appetite.  Ice cream sandwiches are still your favorite and this is what you end up eating for breakfast.  Luckily, the sun was out today and you were able to go out for a little outside time with Carter and Mailey.  You are definitely not the boy I saw yesterday, you are so tired today.

Your dad and I had to give you one of your medications, GCSF, by needle today.  I have to admit, I was pretty nervous.  You have a Insuflon on your arm to help guide the needle into the fleshy part of your arm, its basically a tube in your arm like an IV so we don't have to poke you every time.  Your dad holds you down and I have to administer your GCSF.  It is hard to line up the needle with the Insuflon, but I make it and slowly push the medication in.  It stings going in and it is hard to see you in pain.  It is only short lived and we are done.  Yahoo, we did it!

Tomorrow we have an appointment back at the hospital to see if you blood levels are good enough to stop the GCSF drug needed to increase your numbers.  You need to be off GCSF for 48 hours before we start the next round of chemo.  I am not too sure how you will react once you realize we are going back to the hospital.  I guess trips to the hospital are something that will soon become routine.  I am just glad we have a few days away from it.

Love you to the moon and back,

Mom and Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment